Flying & Props
Some tips and tricks to help you "fly" your characters in Peter Pan the Musical.
If you intend to use wires and harnesses here are some of the top flying companies in the world: www.zfxflying.com www.flybyfoy.com www.freedom-flying.co.uk www.getvertigo.com www.bluechilliflying.com.
Here are some more straightforward suggestions all of which have come from successful past productions – we hope they help you:
- Place the characters on stage risers, flood the stage with dry ice and create the illusion of movement with a spot-lit mirror ball leaving the music to do the rest.
- Create some life-size silhouette puppets which can be held up against a London skyline.
- Get your characters to use scooters on stage in amongst lots of dry ice / fog.
- Use UV light on a totally darkened stage – only the fluorescent costumes of Peter and the children are picked up and glow as they are carried across the stage by figures dressed in black.
- A black star cloth on an empty UV-lit stage stage can create the illusion of the characters suspended in mid-air against the night sky.
- Simply blow some fog onto the stage and use rotating gobos in moving lights to create a cloud-like sky for your characters to “fly” over.
- Employ a couple of see-saws between the nursery beds (with one end of the beam controlled by crew members from behind a black cloth). Use a spotlight to light the characters just from the knees up. Even though the characters only rise a few feet the effect on the audience can be delightfully deceptive.
- Place the characters on a black staircase in black out and spotlight them with a projector behind showing moving images of the London skyline.
Furniture and Property List
Act 1On stage:
Chest of drawers. On it: Top Hat, sewing basket containing needle, thread, thimble.
In a drawer: shadow.
Mantelpiece. On it: jug
Beside table. On it: medicine in a glass, teddy
Dressing as desired
Wendy: Medicine in a glass
Mrs Darling: A chocolate
Peter Pan: Bar of Soap
Mr Darling: white bow tie
Peter Pan: acorn button, fairy dust
In the forest clearing – materials for building the Wendy house Cluster of red-spotted mushrooms with one large and prominent
Tootles and Nibs: bows and arrows
Tootles: detachable sole of shoe
The others boys: knives in their belts
Starkey and some of the Pirates: pistols
Hook: double cigar-holder, iron hook, sedan chair
Wendy: acorn button
John: top hat
Tiger Lily: bonds
Smee: cutlass, lantern
Dressing as desired
In the underground hideout – curtained chamber for Tinker Bell, Material, needle, thread, medicine and half a coconut shell, knapsacks on Sticks
Hook phial of liquid
In the underground hideout – as before
As Act 1, SCENE 1 with in addition, a rocking chair
Mr Darling: bowler hat, umbrella
Nana: the children’s night clothes